How To File and Suspend Your Social Security Benefits

I get a lot (a LOT) of questions about the File and Suspend tactic for Social Security benefits, so I thought some more review would help.  For the uninitiated, File and Suspend is a tactic that married couples can use to help maximize their total Social Security benefits.  In this post I’ll try to cover some of the more common questions.

File and Suspend works like this: One of the two in the couple can file an application for Social Security benefits and then immediately suspend in order to not receive the benefits. This can allow the other spouse to utilize the first spouse’s record to receive a Spousal Benefit.  Other eligible dependents (such as children under 18) can also receive benefits based upon the filed and suspended record.

There are a few factors to note about File and Suspend:

  • You must be at least at Full Retirement Age (FRA) to File and Suspend.
  • Either spouse can File and Suspend, but not both.  By Suspending, you are not eligible to receive a Spousal Benefit.
  • If the non-Suspending spouse is under FRA and begins receiving Spousal Benefits, he or she will no longer be earning Delayed Retirement Credits (DRCs) on his or her own record.  Plus both the Spousal Benefit and the “own” benefit of the non-suspending spouse will be permanently reduced by filing before FRA.
  • The spouse that has not Filed and Suspended can receive Spousal Benefits based on the other spouse’s record at any age over 62 – but the amount of the benefit will be reduced if the spouse receiving Spousal Benefits is less than FRA.  At FRA, the Spousal Benefit would be 50% of the filed and suspended worker’s Primary Insurance Amount.

Why File and Suspend?

The main reason for File and Suspend is to allow the Suspending spouse to delay receiving benefits, earning up to 8% in Delayed Retirement Credits (DRCs) per year.  This will not only increase the amount of benefit that the Suspending spouse will receive when he or she files for benefits, but it will also increase the amount of Survivor Benefits for the other spouse.  At the same time, the other spouse can be receiving Spousal Benefits based on the first spouse’s record.

Here’s an example: The husband has a PIA amount of $2,300, and his wife has a PIA amount of $1,500.  The couple are both at FRA.  The husband Files and Suspends, and the wife can immediately begin collecting a Spousal Benefit equal to 50% of the husband’s PIA – $1,150.  At the same time, both spouses are accruing DRCs on each of their own records.  Both of them can delay filing for benefits on his and her own record until age 70, at which point they will each have achieved the maximum benefit on their own records.  When she reaches age 70, the wife will file for her own benefit and discontinue receiving the Spousal Benefit.  The husband will also re-file at age 70.

Another example: The wife has a PIA amount of $2,000, and the husband has a PIA of $1,000.  The wife is at FRA, and the husband is a year younger.  When the husband reaches FRA, the wife could File and Suspend, and the husband can begin receiving a Spousal Benefit of 50% of the wife’s PIA, delaying filing for his own benefit in order to receive the DRCs.

The husband in the second example could choose to begin receiving Spousal Benefits before FRA.  In that case though, he would not be eligible for DRCs.  This is due to the rule that requires a “deemed filing” if you file for Spousal Benefits prior to FRA.  A deemed filing is the same has having filed for your own benefit, and as such your benefit and the Spousal Benefit will be reduced, permanently, due to the early filing.

A third example: The husband has a PIA of $2,000 and the wife has a PIA of $500.  The husband is two years younger than the wife, she is 66 (FRA) and he is 64.  The wife has begun receiving her own benefit at FRA.  Since the husband is not yet at FRA, File and Suspend is not available to him.  However, once he reaches FRA, he can File and Suspend, and the wife can begin collecting a Spousal Benefit, increasing her own benefit to 50% of his PIA.

It’s important to note that for all of the examples, the spouse that is described as having Filed and Suspended could just as easily filed for his or her own benefit and begun receiving it immediately, rather than suspending.  This would also enable the other spouse to begin receiving Spousal Benefits.  The spouse that is collecting benefits on his or her own record would just no longer be accruing DRCs for his or her future benefit.

IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (or in any attachment) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed in this communication (or in any attachment).

About the author

Jim Blankenship, CFP®, EA

Jim Blankenship is the founder and principal of Blankenship Financial Planning, Ltd., a financial planning firm providing hourly, as-needed financial planning and advice. A financial services professional for over 25 years, Jim is a CFP professional and has earned the Enrolled Agent designation, a designation that qualifies him as enrolled to practice before the IRS. Jim is also a NAPFA-registered financial advisor, which designates him as a Fee-Only Financial Advisor.

An IRA Owner's Manual
A Social Security Owner's Manual


Leave a comment
  • Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied
    on the video to make your point. You clearly know
    what youre talking about, why waste your
    intelligence on just posting videos to your site when you could be giving
    us something informative to read?

  • if i was on ssi and when i married they cut me off i am total diabled acording to ssa and when he retires can i get part of his ss since i worked for a state that did not pay in for the last ten years. i do have enought credits when i am old enough i am 58 but what do i do till then

    • When you reach age 62 and your husband has filed for benefits, you may be eligible to receive a spousal benefit based on his record. If you have worked for a government agency and will be receiving a pension from that job, the pension may reduce or eliminate a spousal benefit that you would otherwise be eligible to receive.

  • Jim
    My husband is 67 (12-25-48) and I am 64(10-12-51). My husband is working and has not taken Social Security or Medicare. I do not work and have not for 15 years. My husband contributes to a Family HSA and we wish to do so a little longer, so we will delay retirement and the taking of Medicare. He is thinking of stopping his HSA contributions for 2017 and retiring just after I turn 66 at the end of 2017. He will then be 69. If possible, we might delay even longer until the middle of 2018 to file. He will continue to work until he files.

    Question: If my husband takes his retirement at 69 or later and because I will be at least 66 then, can I file a restricted application to receive a benefit equal to half of what my husband will get when he files? ( My own retirement benefit at 66 would be much less than my husband’s would be when he files).

    • Yes, that strategy will work just fine. If your own benefit would never be larger than 50% of your husband’s age 66 benefit (not his benefit at age 69) by the delay factors, then a restricted application is not necessary.

      But if your own benefit is something more than the amount that the spousal benefit will be, or will grow to an amount greater by the delay credits, then a restricted application is absolutely a great option for you.

      • Jim

        Thank you for your reply. Just to confirm, my benefit at age 66 would only be $777. My husband’s benefit at 67 would be $2889 and at 66 was probably around $2600. My $777 benefit is certainly less than what 1/2 of my husband’s 66 year benefit would have been, then I would not need to apply for a restricted application. Correct?

        As mentioned before, my husband will apply for his benefit when he is 69, either the end of 2017 or the middle of 2018. I would then like to apply for a spousal benefit which I understand would be 1/2 of what my husband will receive. Correct? Or is it 1/2 of what my husband’s 66 year benefit would have been?

        If I don’t need to apply for a restricted application, what wording do I use?

        Also, when I turn 70, do I have to switch to my smaller benefit or can I keep the spousal benefit, because it will be larger than my own would be?

        Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. This new law is difficult to understand and I think I have read misleading information.

      • Jim

        My benefit at age 66 would only be $777. My husband’s benefit at 67 would be $2889 and at 66 was probably around $2600. My $777 benefit is certainly less than what 1/2 of my husband’s 66 year benefit would have been, then I would not need to apply for a restricted application. Correct?

        As mentioned before, my husband will apply for his benefit when he is 69, either the end of 2017 or the middle of 2018. I would then like to apply for a spousal benefit which I understand would be 1/2 of what my husband will receive. Correct? Or is it 1/2 of what my husband’s 66 year benefit would have been?

        If I don’t need to apply for a restricted application, what wording do I use?

        Also, when I turn 70, do I have to switch to my smaller benefit or can I keep the spousal benefit, because it will be larger than my own would be?

        Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. This new law is difficult to understand and I think I have read misleading information.

        • Since your own benefit will never be larger than 50% of your husband’s FRA benefit ($1,300) you don’t need to file a restricted application.

          Upon reaching 66 years of age you can just file an application for all available benefits, including spousal. That will get the maximum benefit for you. This benefit will continue for the rest of your life – until your husband passes away if he dies before you do. Upon his death your benefit will go away and you’ll assume the benefit that he’s been receiving.

  • Jim,
    You helpfully, definitively answered an earlier question from me (in comments to an earlier article) about my FRA husband filing and suspending so that I might claim spousal benefits at age 63. I understood that since I was applying before my own FRA, this would be a ‘deemed’ filing, in which the benefit would be the sum of my own benefit and my spousal benefit, both reduced because of claiming early.

    I helped my husband use the online application to file and suspend. About a week later he received a letter that his application had been processed. So far so good. I also got a letter informing me that my spouse had filed an application and
    “Social Security considers an application for Social Security benefits to be a request for benefits for his or her spouse
    You are not required to file for benefits at this time. If you file within 6 months of the date of this letter, we will use March 29, 2016 as the filing date for your claim.”

    That sounded also “so far so good”.

    On April 15, I went to a local SS office to make application, taking my proof of marriage, etc . I decided not to wait till after April to apply, because I didn’t want to risk having the April 29 deadline confuse matters.

    The agent who processed my claims (the process involved filing first for my own, then for my spousal) told me the amount I would receive based upon my own record and then the amount I would receive in spousal benefit.
    I asked if it would be alright if I changed my month of application to April, and he said that actually it would be better because then they could both ‘start at the same time’. Benefit payments are a month in arrear, and I should have the money deposited into my checking account in May.

    He gave me two print-outs that restated the information I provided for both applications, but nothing stating what either benefit amount would be. He told me that I should write those amounts down because I would not get anything printed from him that stated them.

    I have now received an award letter from the SSA, dated April 22, that says “you are entitled to monthly retirement benefits beginning Aprl 2016”.
    “You will receive $ x [ the benefit amount is the sum based only on my own record, and does not include the spousal]…

    Under “Other Social Security Benefits” it says:
    “This is the only benefit you can receive from us at this time. In the future, if you think you might qualify for another benefit from us, you will need to apply again”.

    Needless to say, this is NOT what I expected to hear from them. I’m stupefied. What could have happened to my spousal benefit?
    My husband filed and suspended and was notified that his entitlement date is March 2016.
    My own filing should’ve been handled as a deemed filing and I should be entitled to both benefits, and my spousal benefit should not be affected by his suspension.
    Does Social Security sent out separate award letters for spousal benefits? (Though the statement that ‘this is the only benefit you can receive from us’ doesn’t sound like they are processing anything else.)

    Should I go in person to the office that took my application for an explanation? Do I need to ask for the paperwork to file an appeal?

    I would greatly appreciate any thoughts/suggestions you have.

    Deborah G

    Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

    • Is 50% of your husband’s unreduced benefit (his benefit at FRA) something larger than your own unreduced benefit (the benefit that you would have received had you waited until FRA to file)? If so, then it sounds as if SSA didn’t have all of the facts straight and yes, you should revisit the office to straighten things out and start receiving the spousal excess.

      If 50% of your husband’s is less than your own unreduced benefit, then the benefit based on your own record is all you will receive. Effectively you only receive the larger of the two benefits, both reduced, when filing earlier than FRA.

      • My unreduced spousal benefit is approx. 5 x the benefit based on my own record. As calculated by the person who entered my applications into the system, the reduced excess spousal is more than 4X my own reduced benefit.

        I noticed that earlier in these comments/thread (Feb. 20), another spouse was informed that she would only be receiving her own benefits, when she applied for after her husband filed and suspended.

        Is it possible that whoever is processing these applications is under the impression that we cannot receive spousal benefits after April because of our spouses’ suspended benefits?
        Both the screener at the Social Security office I visited and the person who handled my application treated my request to file for both benefits as routine; there wasn’t the least hint that they expected problems.
        I’m relieved to hear that I’m not mistaken in what I think I should be getting; I’ll go back in person and see if someone at the local office can find out what the hitch is.
        Thank you again,
        Deborah G

  • Dear Jim,
    I am 66 and am still working. I plan on working ’till I am 70. If I apply for file and suspend will I also suspend medicare? Am I commiting to hold off until 70yrs. old?

    • No on both counts, Anne. When you suspend benefits you’re still covered by Medicare, you would just have to pay Medicare directly instead of through withholding. And suspending doesn’t require a delay to age 70 – you could unsuspend a month after suspending, or any time before age 70. At age 70 your benefits are automatically unsuspended.

  • I am turning 66 on April 3. My husband is 60 – born in 1955.
    I do not think there is anything we can do to get around the new law but I am sooo confused!

  • I am so confused – almost reading too much.
    I am turning 66 on April 3. My husband is 60 (born 8-10-1955)

    It does not appear that there is anything we can do to maximize our benefits once the new law is in effect. Or can I file and suspend and then he can file at a later date?

  • Jim

    I am approaching age 66 – full retirement age – and live abroad with my wife. As I will have a foreign pension available to me at age 67, I expect to be subject to the WEP when I start taking my SS benefits. I will not however start taking my foreign pension before age 67 at earliest so that when I establish my primary insurance amount (PIA) at age 66, I will not yet be subject to WEP

    I am still eligible to apply “file and suspend”. My wife is aged 60 and does not have enough quarters to qualify for her own Social Security benefits. She does have a foreign pension.

    My questions have to do with the her Spousal Benefit.

    If I file and suspend at age 66, am I correct that my PIA is frozen during this period until I “unsuspend” at age 70? In other words if my PIA at age 66 is $2000 – and at age 67 I begin to draw against a foreign pension – that the my PIA (upon which her spousal benefits are based) is fixed at the value when I suspended until I unsuspend my benefits at which time the WEP will come into play.

    Also, am I correct that the spousal benefit she receives will not be affected by her foreign pension since she herself was not eligible for her own independent SS benefits -only the spousal benefit. Her benefit can and will be reduced by my WEP as it is applied later to my PIA but that she herself is not subject to a WEP?

    Thanks for your help and advice.

  • My husband and I already have signed up for social security but neither of us elected any benefits (we both still work). So neither of us have signed up for social security or for medicare. My husband is 67. He wants to file for retirement benefits and suspend so that I can apply for spousal benefits. What is the exact procedure by which he can do this. I have been helping him online, but I keep getting routed to a new application.

  • Hello Jim,
    I’ve read through all of the posts and believe I understand the process of File and Suspend and the changes in the law at the end of April. I’ve one additional question, I’ll turn 65 in December 2016, will get married in June 2016 and then have a baby in November (busy year 😉 ). I have two questions:

    1. If I wait until I turn 66 (FRA) to file and suspend, after filing-suspending request benefits for my wife and new child, will they continue to receive child and spousal benefits or do I have to continue receiving benefits for them to receive theirs?
    2. What will happen if I start to take my retirement benefits when I turn 65 (FRA-1year), state that I want to file and suspend at 66, and request spousal and child benefits for the period between FRA-1 year and age 66 (FRA)? Will my spouse and child be able to continue receiving benefits after my benefits stop (almost the same question as question 1).


    • 1. You cannot file and suspend and provide benefits for your wife and child at the same time. If you were born before May 1, 1950 you could file and suspend before April 30, 2016 to enable this, but since you were born after that date you must be actively receiving your benefits in order to provide auxiliary benefits to your dependents.
      2. Same answer as #1. You’re too young to use this option. See the article The Death of File & Suspend and Restricted Application for more information on how this law changed recently.

  • My wife is filing for retirement at age 66 in April of this year, I have not filed and I will be 65 in July, should I file and suspend, and have her file for my spousal benefits instead of her receiving her own benefits, so should she file and suspend as well?

  • Hello Jim , I hope you will be able to give me a little info as to which way to Max Our SS .. I was laid off last year.. my wife has a Temp job we both have Health Issues & will need to look into SS Options ASAP .. I am 69 in April & my wife will be 65 in April as well , her SS benefits are very low ..we need to file soon what are our options with the New Law Thank you very much for your time & Reply

    • If you’re planning to file and collect your benefits right away, there’s nothing in the new law that you need to be concerned about.

      If you were planning to delay your benefit to age 70 and your wife wanted to file for spousal benefits prior to that point, you might file & suspend prior to April 30, 2016 to enable this.

      Otherwise, just file as you planned to.

      • My wife will not be 66 till next April which is her FRA age if she files for Spousal benefits will she still receive 50% or will it be reduced as it is a year early??.. I’m a bit confused … I was told by someone I could also file on hers & receive a small benefit as well if I delay till 70 & suspend .. ?? Ok I’m a lot confused I guess ~

        • You have three choices:

          1) you could file & suspend now, and your wife could begin receiving the larger of her own benefit or the spousal benefit, both reduced because she’s under her FRA.
          2) your wife could file for her own benefit and you could file a restricted application to receive a spousal benefit equal to 50% of her benefit.
          3) you could wait until age 70 and file for your own benefit, and your wife could at her FRA then file a restricted application for spousal benefits and delay her own benefit to as late as age 70.

          These choices are exclusive – you really can’t mix and match.

  • I am 66 (67 in May 2016). My wife is 60. I plan on working another couple of years. My wife has not worked in 20 years. Should I file and suspend? I suspect I’ll put in the SS when I’m 68, and my wife will be 63. Her SS is much less than mine. I am guessing she’ll start collecting at age 63 or so(early) unless we don’t need the money at that time, then she’ll wait until 66. Is file and suspend good for us? John

    • If you chose to delay filing beyond the time when your wife files, if you had filed and suspended she’d have the spousal benefit available to her while you continue to delay your own benefit.

      But if you file at the same time as she does, then the suspend part didn’t benefit you.

  • I am currently 65, I will be 66 in August. If I file in March, before the April 29 deadline when the new rules to go into effect, can I also claim dependent benefits for my children? Then when I turn 66 in August can I suspend my payments and continue receiving payments for my dependents until they age out of the benefits?

  • I am 55, with an income history which has maxed out the social security income tax limit for the last 20 years; it is much greater than my wife’s income history. She is 62 and hasn’t worked for more than 15 years. We believe it is best for her to draw 50% of my SS benefit. But, since she is old enough to retire now and I will work at least until I’m 62, how should we proceed? Thanks.

    • She can’t file for a spousal benefit until you’ve filed for your benefits. You won’t be eligible for filing for another 7 years, and you probably don’t want to take the maximum reduction (30% less than your age 67 amount). The two options that your wife has are to file for benefits now, or wait until some later date to file. If her own benefit is relatively small, the reduction from filing early (in real dollars) may not be that much, and the extra years of receiving the benefit will probably pay off in the long run.


  • Jim,
    My husband is 66 years old and just finished the file suspend form online. Soon after, the SS rep called, confused about what he wanted to do. (she did not seem to understand file and suspend.) This was alarming. After an hour she seemed clear and everything was a go. Then she processed my application and despite multiple statements that I was filing for spousal benefits, she must have just file my benefits. The letter of benefits that came today is NOT spousal benefits. Should I go to the SS office to straighten this out? I just know calling this same rep back will not work.

  • I will turn 66 in march 2016 and I would like to file and suspend . my wife is already 62 but I don’t want her to file at this time because she make more money than me and wants to keep working until 66. Can I do that and after she file at 66 will both be beneficiary’s doing that? Thanks.

    • If your wife is waiting until age 66 to file for her own benefit, there’s not much point in your doing the file & suspend, but there’s not a downside to it either. When she reaches age 66 you’ll be 70, so you’ll be collecting the maximum benefit by that point.

  • I have filed and suspended my SS at age 66 and draw SS against my former divorced spouse. I have continued to work full time. I am now planning on retiring at my age 69 and am wondering what will happen if I cancel my suspension and start drawing my SS benefits. Will I get the benefit of the three years i’ve already accumulated or am I going to get a lump sum for these years and lose my Delayed Retirement Credits? Thanks Ross

    • You did not suspend benefits – otherwise you wouldn’t be receiving a spousal benefit (unless the spousal benefit is greater than your own benefit in which case you’re receiving the difference between the two).

      So, you’ll receive the enhanced benefit with the delay credits added on – you don’t have the option for the lump sum since you didn’t file & suspend.


  • Hi. My wife is already collecting Social Security benefits, but I am not. I turn 66 next month, and a couple of days ago I went in to a Social Security office to start the process of filing a restricted application, so I can get spousal benefits starting next month, and then get my own retirement benefits starting at age 70.

    On the tentative paperwork (I still need to bring in some documents to complete the process), the Social Security counselor typed, in the Remarks section:
    “I elect to suspend my benefit until age 70 to earn DRC and I’m filing for spousal benefits.”

    This is different from the wording I’ve seen suggested, which says:
    “I wish to exclude Retirement benefits from the scope of this application.”

    Will the counselor’s wording be fine, or should I ask him to please change it?

    Thanks so much for you insights on this.

  • My husband turns 66 in February, 2016. I am 64. We both intend to work until age 70 and let our SS benefits grow until that time. I would like to draw the spousal benefit when I turn 66. Under the new law, does my husband have to ‘file and suspend’ before April 30, 2016 or are we grandfathered in (because born before 1954) and able to file in 2018 when I turn 66?

    Also, is it possible or would it make sense for me to draw spousal benefit now? Or does that option stop my own benefit from growing the 8% per year.

    • If you want to file for spousal benefits when you reach age 66, your husband must file and suspend prior to April 30, 2016 in order for both of you to delay your own benefits to your age(s) 70.

      You cannot draw the spousal benefit now (if you’re delaying to age 70), since you’re under FRA (age 66).

  • I turn 69 in March 2016 and my wife turns 67 in August.
    I began receiving SS at 66 and my yearly income was minimal! For the next two years my monthly income will be substantially higher than for the last ten years!
    My wife began receiving SS at 65!
    We are financially able to not receive any SS the next two years!
    1. Should I suspend my SS Benefits for the next years?
    2. Should my wife also suspend her benefits?
    3. If we suspend benefits do we lose our Medicare insurance and subliminal insurance?
    4. If I suspend my SS can my wife apply for spousal benefits?
    5. If I suspend SS benefits will my monthly benefits be recalculated at my higher income during this time of suspension?
    Please let me know what is best!
    Thank you!

    • Should you take any of these actions? Only you can answer that question.

      Answering the questions in order:
      1. Your call (without further analysis of your overall situation)
      2. Same as 1
      3. No, you’ll have to pay Medicare directly since there’s no check to deduct the premium from. Not sure I know what subliminal insurance is.
      4. She’s already applied for spousal benefits (due to deemed filing rule) if you were receiving benefits when she applied for her own.
      5. If you suspned benefis you will accrue delay credits at the rate of 2/3% per month of delay. When you restart your benefit the delay credits will be added to your earlier benefit.


  • I am 67, work full-time and plan to continue for at least another year, perhaps longer. My wife is 59, works full-time, and plans to retire at age 62. What is the smartest course of action to take regarding social security, given that the rules change regarding fill and suspend come May1, 2016? How can we maximize our benefits? Is it smarter to wait to file for social security until I am more sure of a retirement date? Any help is certainly appreciated.

    • Unfortunately, with the changes to the rules there is little that can be done to strategize in your situation beyond just delaying to the latest possible age (age 70) to file for benefits. There could be a benefit to you doing a file & suspend, just in case if you wanted to later file for retroactive benefits to your filing date. The only downside to this is if you are not yet signed up for Medicare, doing the file & suspend will enroll you – and this will take away the option of contributing to a HSA if you wish to do so.

      Otherwise, I’d just recommend delaying your filing as long as possible in order to maximize benefits.


  • My wife is 68 and I just turned 66. My wife’s qualified earnings are substantially less than mine. If I file and suspend and she applies for spousal benefits will she be able to receive spousal benefits when I reapply at age 70?

  • Jim, I visited my local SSA office in July 2015 to File and suspend, effective at my FRA of Sept 2015. The app looked fine, however, the SSA processing center immediately started my benefit, even paying me a June benefit (My benefits were eventually suspended effective at my FRA after receiving two payments). In August, I was advised to submit a request to withdraw my original app. My withdrawal app has not been acted on after over four months. I have contacted SSA and my local office on numerous occasions and simply told this delay is not unusual. With the law changing in the interim, worst cast, my app won’t be acted on until after the law changes. In that case, can I leave my benefits suspended and still have either a reinstate option or retroactive benefits option?

  • There are a zillion articles online about file and suspend, but I can’t find anything that actually answers the question in the title above: How to File and Suspend. How do you actually do it? Do you go into a local social security office? Is there a form to fill out? Do you mail something in? I’m drawing a blank in my search.

  • I called Soc Sec and they told me I need do nothing and that would be same as file and suspend. I turn 66 in January 2016. Can you confirm what is the correct timing and process I need to follow. Eg. Can I do by phone or need to do in person? Can I do before I turn FRA(66) or only after I turn 66? Is there a form I need to file? From Ll I have read no one states what exaxtly one needs to do to ‘file ans suspend’. Thanks in advance for your help.

    • File and suspend is simply filing an application for benefits and in the remarks section indicate that you wish to immediately suspend receipt of benefits. You could file the application prior to your 66th birthday, having the effective date as of your reaching age 66.


  • 1. I’m confused about the new rules and deadlines. I’d been planning to “file and suspend” but I turn 66 on April 30, 2016 which is the last day of the deadline. Can/should I complete the paperwork prior to this to be effective on my 66th birthday?
    2. My husband was planning to then complete the ”restricted application” so he can collect spousal benefits [and continue to accrue delayed retirement credits for his personal SS]. However, he won’t be age 66 until January 2018. Will he still be able to wait until 2018 to complete the ”restricted application” so he can collect spousal benefits (50% from my SS) and still have his full benefits continue to increase at 8% per year, so long as I “file and suspend” by April 30, 2016? Should/can he complete the paperwork ahead of time to be effective on his 66th birthday? We so appreciate your time and advice.

    • You can fill out the paperwork to file and suspend prior to April 30 to have it go into effect as of your Full Retirement Age – but it’s possible that you may not be considered FRA until May, you’ll want to check with SSA to see how they’ll handle it.

      If you can get your file & suspend in place, your husband could file a restricted application when he reaches his age 66, since he was born before 1954.


      • According to the SSA website, shouldn’t Sara’s birthday, for the purposes of FRA, be considered April 1, 2016? If so, why can’t’ she file & suspend on or before April 29? I understand that benefits are paid a month in arrears, but that should not affect the date of suspension, should it?

        My wife has an even more confusing birth date — May 13, 1950. If, for purposes of determining FRA, she is deemed to reach 66 on May 1, that will fall on a Sunday. The new rules go into affect 180 days after November 2, 2015 — Saturday, April 30. If the SSA is closed on both Saturday and Sunday (April 30 and May 1), is there any chance they will deem my wife’s birthday to have occurred on Friday, the prior business day and the last day to file & suspend under the old rules?

        • I know for a fact that if you were born after May 1 1950 you are not eligible for this provision which expires on April 29.

          When I wrote the answer above I did not have that clarity – but now I have that clarity, and Sara’s FRA date is considered April 1 so she is eligible. Your wife is not eligible for file and suspend under the old rules, as her DOB is after May 1.

  • I am 66 and my husband is 68. He plans to file and suspend so I can collect benefits. Are my benefits calculated by what he would have gotten at age 66 or what he would be getting at age 68?

  • I will be 66 in March 2016 and intend on doing the file & suspend. I am working and have an HSA through my employer. Can I continue to contribute to the HSA after I file & suspend? Oris it once filed you are ineligible?
    Thank you

  • Husband is full retirement age (68), but will continue working.
    I am full retirement age (67) and just retired.
    My husband is the higher wage earner.
    If he files and suspends and I take spouse benefits it is my understanding that both of our benefits will grow until we reach 70. If I take spouse benefits now, would that lower any future spouse benefit amounts I would receive from his earnings?

    • Yes, that’s correct, you can file a restricted application for spousal benefits when your husband files and suspends, as long as he files and suspends no later than April 30, 2016.

      I hate to tell you this but at age 67 you have already given up a years’ worth (give or take depending on your date of birth) of Spousal Benefits at this point. You could have done these actions at your age 66.


  • I think I messed up. When my wife turned 62, I had her start taking her SS. After I turned 66 (and before she turned 66), I did a restricted application. She will be 66 on 9/20/2016. At that time I had planned to start drawing my SS and my wife would then automatically start drawing a spousal. I thought by waiting till she was 66 her spousal would be more. Should I immediately file and suspend? Just file? Stay the course? Thank you for helping. d&n

  • Jim,
    I am 66. My wife will turn 62 in June 2016.
    Should I file and suspend before the six month window expires in May 2016, even though my wife won’t turn 62 until June? Does her age have anything to do with my ability to file and suspend?
    Thanks, Paul

    • Her age has nothing to do with your ability to file and suspend. What her age limits is her ability to file a restricted application for Spousal Benefits based on your record.

      If she’s planning to file for spousal benefits at age 62, if you have filed and suspended prior to April 30, 2016, she should be able to do this while you delay filing for your own benefits.

      If you were not delaying, or if she is not planning to file until you have ultimately filed on your benefits, then nothing needs to be done at all.


      • “Her age has nothing to do with your ability to file and suspend. ”

        Can you please quote title and section out of the “SocSec handbook” so I can force the local SS office to read it?

        They won’t let my wife (born 1-11-48) file and suspend unless I’m FRA, and I’m not (born 10-10-51).

        We need an official SS description of the process; they are completely uncooperative and steadfast in refusing to allow her to file and suspend singly, maintaining that I must be FRA and simultaneously file for spousal benefits when my wife files for “File and Suspend”.

  • I will turn 66 January 2016. Can I file and suspend my SSI at that time and then reinstate two(2) years later at age 68? I’m not sure how the recent SS ruling affects single people.

  • I am in an unusual situation under the new changes to social security. My spouse is 66 years old as of June, 2015 and will file and suspend in November, 2015 under the old law. I will be 66 in June, 2016 and will file for spousal benefits under the restricted application under the new law and will hopefully will get 50% of my spouses amount and have my full benefits continue to increase at 8% per year and file for full benefits at 70 as will my spouse. Will I be able to do this under the new law. Thank you. Ken

  • I will reach FRA of 66, April 2017, and will file in May, 2017. My former spouse, married for more than 10 years, will not reach FRA until September 2017. Can I file and suspend at that time or does he have to be receiving before I can? Also, what is spousal support, can I do that as being divorced? He made much more than me during his years of employment and think this will benefit me.

    • Faye –

      You would not file and suspend. If your own benefit would never grow to more than the spousal benefit (via the 8% per year of delay increase) then you would simply file for the spousal benefit. This is allowed regardless of your ex’s filing status as long as he is at least age 62 and the divorce was finalized for at least two years.

      If your own benefit might grow to an amount larger than the spousal benefit, then you would file a restricted application for spousal benefits when you reach FRA, and delay filing for your own benefits until as late as age 70 to maximize them. Same restrictions as mentioned above – divorced for two years and the ex is at least age 62.

      Given your date of birth (before 1954) the above options are available to you under the new rules.

      Hope this helps –


  • Hello Jim,

    My wife who is 63yrs7months, I am 62yrs5months we have a 15yr old daughter.
    We are planning to initiate the “File and Suspend” strategy. Currently I would receive
    2100+- and she would receive 1100+-. I plan to file and suspend so that she can
    collect half of my pension now which would be approximately 1000.
    What are the actual forms that you submit for the process.
    I went to the SS site and reviewed all of the forms, the two I thought
    most appropriate were:
    SSA-1-BK Application for Retirement Insurance Benefits
    SSA-2-BK Application for Wife or Husbands Insurance Benefits

    Can you confirm which form one should use for the “File and Suspend”


  • Hi, I turned 62 in June and my husband turned 60 in February and has been on SSDI for several years. We have a son that was born 3 months early and due to his premature birth he is blind, severe mr and autistic. While he lives in an ICFMR we are responsible for all decisions, buy all his clothes and any needs he has and he comes home every other weekend and has since he has lived in the facility. I am sending you correspondence from a administrator from SS. Here it is.This message is in response to your September 2, 2015 inquiry about benefits.

    We can pay a spouse benefit as early as age 62. Spouse benefits are reduced when people start to receive them before reaching full retirement age. For people born between 1943 and 1954, full retirement age is 66.

    However, a Mother’s or Father’s benefit is an unreduced benefit payable at any age (prior to full retirement age) to a spouse (of the worker) who is caring for a child of the worker, as long as the child is:

    · entitled to Social Security benefits, and
    · under age 16 or disabled.

    The child need not live with you full-time. Having a child in your care means that you exercise parental control and responsibility by supervising the child’s activities and participating in the important decisions about the child’s physical and mental needs.

    We have attached some information that we hope will be helpful. Additional information about the Social Security program is available at On our website, you can find your local Social Security office, get answers to frequently asked questions, file an application for benefits, and manage your benefits using our secure and easy to use my Social Security account. To find the nearest Social Security office from our website, select “Contact Us”, then “Find an Office”. Enter your zip code in box provided, and you will directed to information about your local Social Security office.

    We hope this information is helpful.
    When I called SS and spoke with one of their representatives she told me that even though my husband draws over $1,600.00 a month that I would only be entitled to $400.00 and my son would receive the other $400.00. My son receives money from his SSI and some from his fathers already and was under the impression that I would be entitled to the full amount. She actually talked me into drawing my own SS and letting my son draw the total $800.00, which I would have rather waited until FRA and would have been able too if I would have drawed the full amount. Since I am responsible for all his needs it comes out of my pocket and what he receives will go to ICFMR and not towards his clothing, etc. Could you possibly look in to this as it is not too late to change my mind because I will not draw anything until December because they are holding 2 checks because they said I could possibly go over the earnings limit. I will only be making around $1,230.00 SS Benefits so drawing the approximate $800.00 would have been very beneficial for me. Especially since I worked and paid for everything throughout his entire lifetime. The only time he received anything was when he was old enough to draw SSI. After reading the email I thought finally after 35 years of paying for everything with no help, however I am thankful I was able too. Sorry this is so long and would appreciate any help you may find.

  • Hi Jim,
    Thank you for your very helpful information. I am now disabled after working 26 years, and am receiving social security disability benefits. Since I worked part time for quite a few of my working years while raising my children, my benefit is smaller than many people’s full retirement age benefit. Also, I was married for 31 years, but my marriage ended after I became disabled. My question is;

    When I turn FRA and my benefit changes from SS disability to SS retirement, can I suspend my benefit until age 70 (to earn the delayed retirement credits, which for me would increase my benefit by 26.67% according to my understanding from your information, as my full retirement age is 66 and 8 months) and collect a spousal benefit from my ex-husband’s work record while I am waiting for my 70th birthday to began claiming my own (now larger) retirement benefit? He is 6 months older than I am and plans to file for his SS retirement benefits at his FRA, so will already be collecting his benefits when I become FRA. Thank you so much for considering my question. I worry about having enough to live on in my older age, and thought this may be a possible way for me to increase my income in retirement years. One half of my husbands benefit (on today’s terms) would be about $200 less than my current benefit, so I think this solution would be doable for me for the suspended period of 3 years and 4 months, if it is allowed.

  • i will be 66 in march of 2017 and i am single never married. I have two daughters i adopted as a single woman. My youngest daughter in march of 2017 will just be finishing her 9th grade year and be turning 16 august of 2017. I kept her back one year so she will not graduate till shortly before her 19th birthday. i plan to work till i am 70 and not collect my SS till that time. Do I understand things correctly and can i file and suspend for her when i reach my full retirement age at 66 and she can college till she graduates high school in 2020 and then my SS will continue to grow till i actually collect for myself when i am 70.

  • I am 66 and my wife 79. She is receiving SS benefits since 66. Her benefit is $900 and mine $2500. Can I file and suspend mine till 70 and meanwhile collect 50% of my wife benefits until 70? I’ll get $450 compares to her increasing from $900 to $1250 (50% of mine) =$350

    • Jacob –

      You can receive the spousal benefit beginning at your age 66 – but you would not file and suspend, you would file a restricted application for spousal benefits. Then you should receive 50% of the benefit that your wife is receiving. At age 70 you can then file for your own benefit, and your wife could then file for the spousal benefit based on your record, increasing (as you indicate) her benefit by $350.

      Hope this helps –


  • Jim:

    First, thanks for your time and effort in putting together such an informative platform for social security questions.

    I will turn 66 in October 2015. I am divorced and have 2 minor children aged 6 and 9. Under the divorce decree, I am afforded the right to apply for dependent benefits with social security.

    I am contemplating “file and suspend” in October. It seems I am able to file and suspend my benefits, if desired, and receive the dependent benefits during the suspension time.

    My questions are: May I “file and suspend” both my benefits as well as my children’s dependent benefits and receive a lump sum for both at a later date? If so, would the lump sum amounts have to be taken at the same time or could I pick and choose the dates?


  • My husband will collect SS at age 62 (in 2020, he is firm about this). I am trying to explore options.
    1. Can I collect spousal benefits when I reach 62 (2021)? I am concerned that collecting spousal benefits early will negate the benefit of delaying taking my SS. Is it correct that taking spousal benefits early locks my SS benefit to the reductions of collecting early?
    2. Would my husband’s potential spousal benefit max out when I reach FRA (in 2026) or does it continue to grow until I reach age 70 due to delayed credits (if I waited to collect my SS)?
    3. Can I file and suspend my benefits in 2025, stop collecting my spousal benefit, and my husband start collecting spousal benefits based on my PIA?
    4. If the answer to question 3 is yes, is his spousal benefit reduced (since he collected before FRA) or full (50% of my PIA) of what my benefit will be the next year?
    5. If I collected my spousal benefit early (at age 62), does that mean that my individual benefit will be reduced? [That is how I interpret what I’ve read.]

    My husband’s PIA is 45% of mine. So, considering what I really think are our options (with his taking his SS at age 62), I think our only two options are: (1) if I wait until FRA to collect, he can increase his payment by switching to spousal benefits when I file; or (2) if I collect at age 62 (reduced), he can first switch to spousal when I file, then at FRA suspend his while still collecting spousal benefits, and finally restart his (with three years if delayed credits having pushed his reduced PIA past 50% of my reduced PIA). We are not going to wait until age 70 for me to start collecting.

    • Carol –

      Taking your questions by number:

      1. You could take a spousal benefit when you reach age 62, but you would not be able to delay your own benefit until a later date if you file for any benefit prior to your Full Retirement Age.
      2. The spousal benefit available to your husband would not increase after you reach FRA. Plus, if you have filed for spousal benefits and he filed for his own benefit early at age 62, it’s likely that there will be very little in the way of spousal benefit (if any) available to him. I’d need to work the numbers to say for sure.
      3. This isn’t likely to be a viable strategy if you filed for benefits at your own age 62.
      4. Any spousal benefit that your husband may be eligible for will be reduced from the maximum due to his filing at age 62.
      5. Yes, filing for either benefit (your own or spousal) results in reduction to both, and you effectively only receive the larger of the two. You are also deemed to have filed for all available benefits, which then takes away your option to file a restricted application later and as mentioned above reduces the viability of other options.

      From your last paragraph, #2 is not correct. Your husband could not suspend benefits at FRA and continue collecting spousal benefits. The most he could collect after suspending would be whatever increase the spousal benefit provides (that is, whatever increase he received when he filed for spousal benefits).

      Hope this helps –


  • Same question that has been asked before, I just can’t seem to sort it out.

    My wife is 65, I am 63. I have a much larger earnings base. As near as I can tell, my wires personal retirement will be about 45% of mine and the same respective ages. I would definitely wait until 70 to make a claim. Couple of questions,

    1. If my wife’s files at 66, for her own SS, could she switch to the spousal benefit for my retirement, which should be much higher, when I turn 70?
    2. If she filed for her own SS benefit at 66, would I be able to claim a spousal benefit from her plan when I turn 66, then both of us reverting to my benefits when I turn 70, without penalty?

    Probably too much cake and eat it too, but wanted to ask.

    • Mike –

      Taking your questions by number:

      1. Yes, your wife can file for her own benefit and then file for the spousal benefit when you have filed at age 70.
      2. If your wife has file for her own benefit at some earlier age, when you reach FRA you will be eligible to file for a spousal benefit based on your wife’s record and receive that until age 70. There will be no penalty to either of you for filing in this fashion.

      Hope this helps –


  • Jim,
    Please advise….
    I am 60 year old on SS disability ( $2,700)….My wife will be FRA in a couple of months ( $1,500.)
    what are the best steps to taken now regarding a possible Spousal aproach and
    file and suspend ?

    Pete Smith

    • Pete –

      Since you are receiving disability benefits, there should be no need to file and suspend. Check with SSA to see for sure what amount of benefit that your wife may be eligible as a spousal benefit (via restricted application, if available) at her FRA. She may not be eligible for a spousal benefit at that time since you’re not at least age 62 – and if that’s the case there’s not much that can be done if she needs (or wants) to file for *some* benefit at FRA. If she can delay until she is eligible for spousal benefits (if she’s not eligible at FRA) that would be better than filing for her own benefit at FRA. I’m assuming that your goal is to delay her own benefit as late as possible to maximize it.


  • Jim, I am 64 and my wife is 68 and we are both still working. My wife started collecting benefits at her FRA of 66. I would like to let mine grow until I am 70. We are both retiring next year. Can I claim a spousal benefit when I reach FRA or before? Currently my wife receives $1900 per mo and mine at FRA will be $2600 per mo. Please advise, Thanks!

    • Peter,

      In order to delay your benefit to age 70 you will have to wait until your FRA to file for a spousal benefit. You’ll want to file a restricted application at that time, which will allow for your own benefit to accrue the delay credits.

      Hope this helps –


  • I will be 66 11-15. My husband is 8 years younger than I am. I intend to keep working until approximately age 75. If I file and suspend at FRA can my husband apply to receive half of my social security even though he is not yet even 62? If he does that, when would he start receiving that benefit? If he does that and keeps working at his present job which he intends to do, would the benefit he receives be reduced by his earnings?

    • Sandra,

      The earliest that an individual can receive a spousal benefit is age 62. At your husband’s age (assuming he’d be 62 in 2019) the spousal benefit would be reduced due to early filing before his Full Retirement Age. In addition, continued earned income between the age of 62 and FRA while collecting SS benefits will result in reductions (withheld benefits) during that time.

      Hope this helps –


  • Jim,
    I am pretty confused. My husband and I are both 63. He retired and started collecting at 62 before either of us realized there might be a better way to do this. I am still working. I would like to retire at 64. Does the file and suspend option work for me at that time? Do I even qualify since my husband is already retired? What should I be doing. I do not want to potentially lose a significant portion of my income out of ignorance. None of these scenarios seems to cover the option that my hasband has been retired for over a year.
    Thank you so much for your help.

    • Chris –

      At age 64 your options are limited if you want to receive a benefit at that time. You can file for benefits, but you will effectively receive the larger of either your own benefit (based on your record) or 50% of the benefit that your husband would have received at his Full Retirement Age. This amount (whichever is larger) would be reduced due to your filing at age 64.

      On the other hand, if you can wait a couple of years to your age 66, you could file for spousal benefits at that time (based on your husband’s record) and receive the full 50% of his FRA benefit, while delaying your own benefit until a later age if that would result in a larger benefit.

      Not knowing the amount(s) of your benefit(s) I can’t say for sure what would be the best option for you.


  • Hi:
    What is the proper sequence and timing to execute this plan?

    In our Case both of us are going to delay SS to 70 years old.
    AT 68 I will File and suspend (my wife will turn 66)

    My wife at 66 will then apply for 50% spousal (15000/yr) (does she restrict her application too?)

    At 70 I will apply for my increased benefits (41,000/yr)

    At 70 my wife stops spousal and apply for her own increased benefits (26500/yr)

    Is file and suspend the correct way or is restricted application correct?

    Thanks John

  • I have a question that I did not see covered in the comments. I am 15 years younger than my husband (60). We have 3 children who will range in ages 9 – 15 when he turns 66. He plans to work as long as possible (God willing:) and I understand that after age 70, his benefits will not continue to increase. His benefit will be significantly larger than mine – and I mean very significant. I am beginning to understand this whole file and suspend issue, but I am not clear really about what cons could come from it. If he files and suspends at FRA so we receive spousal and dependent benefits at that time(significantly before my FRA), does that impact what I would receive as a spousal benefit at a later date – when he begins receiving SS payments? Does it change my survival benefit? If our children receive dependent benefits, will they stop at age 16 because of my age or continue on to age 18 (or 19 depending on high school)? I can see lots of pros for him to file and suspend, but I worry that I don’t understand it clearly enough to see the cons. We are both concerned about making sure that his payment is as large as possible for the long term. Thank you.

    • Receiving benefits now as a mother of a child under age 16 will not impact your future benefits. Your children will receive benefits until age 18 (or 19 if a full-time student), but you will only receive benefits until the last child is age 16.

      With three children and a mother’s benefit, you won’t be receiving the full 50% benefit each due to the family maximum limit. It gets complicated, but the point is there’s a maximum amount based on your husband’s PIA that can be paid out based on his record (should be on his SSA statement). From that maximum amount, subtract your husband’s PIA. Whatever is left will be split among the four of you, and as age limits remove each one of the children and eventually you, fewer will be splitting the remainder amount.

      Hope this helps –


  • I reached FRA Dec. 2014. If I file and suspend until age 70 but at age 69 decide I want to retroactively get my benefits in lump sum back to my FRA would that be allowed. Or would the amount of retroactive benefits be limited?

    Also, my wife is 63 but on SSDI, how will my filing & suspending effect her benefits if at all.


    • Retroactive benefits would be allowed to the date of your file & suspend. You may be allowed to file & suspend up to 6 months prior to the date you’re contacting SSA. At this point it would be January 2015, so you’d lose one month of retroactive benefits if you changed your mind to get the lump sum later.

      File & suspend should not impact your wife’s SSDI benefit.


  • Hi Jim! Great site but, despite tons of research, am still unclear on several important points/issues.

    I turn 66 in mid June 2015 and hubby turns 66 in early Sept. 2015. I don’t have enough credits so we will use the file and suspend strategy. Please correct any “understandings” I have wrong and address the questions I have, please.

    1) My understanding is that he must wait until one month after he turns age 66 to “file and suspend.”
    2) I understand my benefit will be half of his PIA at age 66.

    3) What about the wages he will have earned before he turns 66 in Sept (which just happens to be when he will get laid off for the year (his work is part-time/seasonal). Those wages would up his PIA. Will SS take those into account for my SS benefit. So when does SS adjust PIA? Does it wait until one files taxes or do they go by quarterly employer returns?
    4) Will I get credit for his 2015 wages and increased PIA at some point or does SS just look at the PIA on the date of claiming file and suspend and make that my SS benefit?
    5) Can hubby claim file and suspend on same day/visit to SS office or must he wait until he receives one payment before suspending? Thank-you so much for your time and energy to this site. Pam

    • Pam –

      Taking your points in order:

      1) Yes, the file and suspend would be in place the month after his birthday (unless he was born on the first of the month). SSA always uses the first full month that you are a particular age.
      2) Correct.
      3) Wages earned before filing don’t have any impact on benefits. Benefits after FRA are also not impacted by earnings. If the earnings cause his PIA to increase, benefits based on that PIA will be automatically adjusted.
      4) Yes, if the PIA increases, benefits based on that PIA will be adjusted.
      5) Yes, file and suspend can be done on the same day.

      Hope this helps –


  • Hi Jim –
    My husband and I are the same age. I have 2 questions:

    1) He plans to file and suspend at 66 so that I can take a “spousal/restricted benefit”. If I subsequently decide (say at age 68) to take my own social security benefit, would my husband be able to then switch to a “spousal benefit” based on my earnings – and then at age 70 take his own delayed/higher benefit?

    2) Also, I believe that my husband would automatically be enrolled in Medicare Part A once he “files and suspends” (thus making him ineligible for an HSA account). Is that correct (even though neither of us needs Medicare yet since we have employer coverage)? Thanks!

    • Anony,

      1) No, your husband, having filed and suspended, would not be eligible to file a restricted application later. Technically it’s possible, but the only benefit he’d receive would be any excess benefit above and beyond 50% of your PIA minus his PIA – usually this is either a very small amount or zero.

      2) You are correct. When you file for SS benefits (even if you suspend) you are automatically enrolled in Part A if you’re age 65 or better. There is no way around this, and it will eliminate the HSA option.


  • I am single, on SSDI. When I reach age 66, it is my understanding that it automatically converts to the SS retirement part of the program. My questions are: Can I delay this conversion, at age 66, and remain on SSDI payments until, say age 70 ? (to hopefully increase the benefits when they go to the regular SS retirement); and if they must convert at age 66, (to the regular retirement SS) will my monthly benefits be reduced ?? I currently receive $837.00 per month. Many thanks for clearing this up, it is very confusing and rather scary.

    • Lee –

      At FRA your only option would be to suspend benefits – this would eliminate all benefits from being received at that point, but would allow you to accrue delay credits to increase your future benefit amount. Otherwise, the conversion from SSDI to retirement benefits is automatic and can’t be changed.

      With regard to the amount, I believe that the amount of your retirement benefit will be the same as your SSDI benefit, but you’ll want to check that with SSA to be sure.


  • Jim,

    My case is not typical. I am older than my spouse by 6 years and I am the lower earner. It seems my SS benefits will be 20 percent lower than hers. Based on the information posted here, I can only file and suspend by my FRA; but since my spouse has not reach FRA, it seems that I do not have an option to apply for spousal benefits. Am I wrong?

    If I can apply for spousal benefits after I reach FRA, can I switch to my working benefits at 70? May be it does not make sense since the differentials between our benefits are only 20 percent.


    • Sidney –

      Due to the age difference, the only way you could file for solely spousal benefits is if your wife files for her benefits at her age 62 – which would allow you then to file a restricted application for spousal benefits. The problem is that by her filing early, she is reducing the benefit that is the larger of the two.

      In your case you might file for your own benefit at FRA (or file and suspend). If you file for your own benefit at FRA you’d receive the PIA amount; if you file & suspend you’d receive nothing until you reach age 70. At that age you would receive the delay credited maximized benefit.

      Either way, when your wife reaches her FRA, she could then file a restricted application for spousal benefits based on your record, then she could delay her own filing until age 70, maximizing her own benefit.

      Hope this helps –


  • I see conflicting information on various websites and would appreciate a clarification. Some say the person filing & suspending must be at FRA, and some say only one of the partners need be FRA. This is important to us, since I’m nearly two years younger than my spouse and have the higher benefit. She will turn 66 next year while I’ll be 64. One advisor told me I should file & suspend at that point, but I don’t know if I can. Thanks for any advice.

  • Hi Jim, I am currently 64, single and have two children that would qualify for dependents benefits. A fee based benefits calculator is indicating that my maximum lifetime benefit would be achieved by filing four months before my FRA, suspending when I reached my FRA and then starting my benefits at age 70. I do not plan on leaving my current job until my youngest child graduates high school a few years after my FRA. By my calculations I would fail the earnings test the year I turn 66 due to the amount I would earn prior to my FRA. But since I would be suspending prior to the start of the next calendar year when would this excess earnings be withheld? Would it come out of my children’s benefits the next calendar year? Thanks.

    • If you would fail the earnings test, this would also impact your children’s benefits during that period. You’d likely be sent a bill for the over-payment since your benefits will be suspended at that time.

      If it was me, I’d probably just wait until FRA and file and suspend at that point – it could be that filing a few months earlier would “maximize” your overall lifetime benefits, but it would also result in a colossal pain in the rear to resolve the overpayment. Just my opinion…


  • Hi, Jim. I was talking about this same topic to you on another thread last week. I see from the comments that at least one person thinks file and suspend applies only to married couples, but that statement was corrected by another commenter to say it applies to singles as well.

    My question now is, how do I go about this? Is there a form to use? I saw a new book (“Get What’s Yours” by Kotlikoff) that advises merely sending a certified letter to SSA, but without corroboration I don’t want to just do that.


    • Hello Larry –

      The certified letter approach is one way; another is to visit your local SSA office and handle the file & suspend there. I imagine there are other ways (I’ve heard you can put a notation on an online application but have not confirmed this one).


      • Thank you, Jim. I think I’ll stay with the certified letter approach as it provides the strongest documentation, and I won’t have to argue with someone at SSA if they aren’t aware of the strategy. One more question if you don’t mind: I turned 66 (FRA) last September, but didn’t know about file and suspend until about a month ago. If I send my letter now and decide I need benefits before 70 at a later date, do I get the lump sum as of the date of my letter or the date I turned 66?

        • You should be able to back-date the application by up to 6 months, which won’t quite take you back to September but it will be close. The lump sum (if you request it) would be as of the filing date, not your age 66 in this case.


  • Hi Jim,

    Thanks for making this site available in order to help us to understand this complex system.
    This week my husband and I visited our local Social Security office. My husband who is past FRA (he will be 68 in November) asked to File and Suspend. The officer refused to allow him to do so because I have not reached age 62. I am 9 years younger than my husband. My husband explained that he recently had a mini stroke and was very lucky to have recovered completely but that there is a chance for for a occurrence at any time so he would like to be proactive and to do this now. She still refused and said that if he was unable to complete the file and suspend himself that I can then file and suspend for him when I reach 62. We were very disappointed with the outcome. Now he is planning to send a letter to file and suspend. Is this the correct approach?

    Thanks in advance,

    • I cannot imagine why the rep would not allow file and suspend. If you have a chance to visit the office again and get the same refusal, ask for a supervisor or superior. There should be no reason that he could not do this. Your age should have no bearing on it.


  • Hi Jim,

    I will be 64 in July. I have two young children (8 & 11) at home. I plan to file disability benefit due to my cancer treatment. Will my children also get child benefit along with my disability benefit? My disability benefit will automatically be switched to social security benefit when I turn 66 at FRA. Can I file and suspend my social security at 66 while my children will continue receiving disability benefit? If so, should I file 3 months before I reach 66?

    K. Lee

    • Your children should be eligible for benefits when you begin receiving the disability benefit, but it’s not automatic, you’ll need to file for the children’s benefits.

      You can suspend your benefits at age 66, which will allow your children to continue receiving their benefit while allowing your benefit to grow (and you’ll cease receiving benefits until you apply again). You can inform SSA of the intent to suspend within 3 months of your reaching FRA to enact the suspension.


  • Jim,
    Please clarify the rule change of 12/14 regarding SSDI recipient’s desire to file and suspend and take the DRC to age 70. I was told by another “expert” that it cannot be done after the rule change. The recipient would have to pay back all benefits received to that date before he/she could file and suspend. Is this true or did I get it wrong.
    I want to do exactly that. I’m getting SSDI and will be at FRA at 66. I wanted to file and suspend to age 70. Please clarify for me. Thanks

  • A scenario I don’t see addressed very well anywhere is mine: My age is 67 1/2, my ex-husband just turned 64 (married 36 years and we divorced in 2010).
    If I take my own benefit now, I receive $1352 a month forever (plus COLA). If I wait until past 70, I get $1684. I was told by a SS rep that my spousal benefit would be only a bit less than that when he hits FRA in 2 years. I do not know exactly how much less.
    Am I correct that I can’t take a spousal benefit now because he is younger than FRA and will not file and suspend until 66?

    So, it seems beneficial to take my lower benefit until he reaches FRA, then switch to the spousal benefit, even if it is slightly less. Without knowing exact numbers of the spousal benefit, how does one make that decision?

    • Judith – it’s unfortunate that you didn’t know about this until now, because regardless of your ex-husband’s filing status, if you are at Full Retirement Age and your divorce has been final for two years or more, you could file for spousal benefits alone (known as a restricted application). By filing a restricted application, you’ll receive the spousal benefit, while your own benefit is allowed to increase via the delay credits.

      I suggest that you immediately file for your spousal benefit based on your ex’s record and request the retroactive benefits (6 months prior to your filing date). Then when you reach age 70 you can file for your own benefit.


      • Many many thanks! The whole thing is so confusing, made more so by ex being so much younger. Even the SS rep on the phone did not give me this info! Very grateful to you, Jim!

    • Great question. I hoped Jim would answer. I’ve gotten two answers from two SS “experts”. One said “no” and the other said I can. Still waiting for something concrete.

      • Apologies, this slipped past me.

        The new ruling doesn’t eliminate the option to suspend for folks on disability when they reach FRA. It takes away the option to file a restricted application. In other words, before this ruling a person on SSDI could be treated at FRA as if they had not filed for retirement benefits; now, at FRA this person is considered to have filed for retirement benefits, which eliminates or severely limits any spousal benefit available.

        The article at the link explains it very well, but if you still have questions let me know.


  • I planning a SS strategy for my near future retirement. We are the same age and will reach FRA within 6 months of each other. My / wife SS benefits as they stand now are as follows:

    Me Spouse
    62 yrs $1,948.00 $516.00
    66 yrs-8mns (FRA) $2,718.00 $716.00
    70 yrs $3,456.00 $907.00

    Q: Wouldn’t the appropriate strategy for us to forget my Spouse’s SS benefit’s all together and use the ‘file and suspend” strategy on my SS benefits only?

    • That could work out pretty well for you – if you were to file and suspend, your wife would be eligible for 50% of your FRA benefit, beginning at her FRA (if it’s later than when you’re at FRA). Then you could delay until you are age 70 to collect the maximum benefit amount.


  • My husband will turn 65 in December 2015. I will turn 63 in June 2015. My husband plans in quit work in June or July of 2015. At his FRA of 66 his benefit is estimated to be 2,564, and at 3,420 at age 70. My benefit at FRA of 66 is estimated to be 2,117, and at 2,877 at age 70.

    If I have read your information correctly, my husband can file and suspend at 66 and then I can start receiving spousal benefits at age 64. At this point I will most likely retire. This allows me to delay my benefits on my record until 70, with the benefits on my record to continue to grow and my husband’s benefits too?

    While receiving spousal benefits, are earnings restricted by income under FRA?

    Does this appear to be the sound strategy to take?


    • Carolynn –

      You will not be able to file solely for spousal benefits (allowing your own benefit to grow to age 70) at age 64. This is only allowed once you reach age 66 (Full Retirement Age). If you file at age 64 your own benefit and any spousal benefit will be reduced.

  • Jim

    Can’t seem to find an answer to this question. I am three months older than husband and didn’t work enough quarters to get SS benefits on my own. Both of us turn age 66 next year. If he files and suspends at age 66, I understand that I can collect spousal benefits. However, when he turns 70 and collects his SS benefits, does my spousal benefit go up, other than COLA increases, or stay the same. The difference is $337.00 per month, if we do nothing until he turns age 70. Thanking you in advance for your answer.

  • My husband started receiving Social Security benefits at 65 1/2 yrs old. He is receiving a government pension from work performed and did not pay social security taxes in that government job. He is receiving a substantial social security because he did pay into it for 25 years from other positions he held before government service. He is penalized under the WEP since he didn’t pay in for 30 years. I am 63 and made a larger salary then him. My question is at 66 can I “file and suspend” and collect spouse benefits on his social security until I turn 70?

    • Hi Peggy –

      You would not want to file and suspend, that would eliminate your ability to receive a spousal benefit based on your husband’s record. What you want to do at age 66 is file a restricted application for spousal benefits only. This will allow you to receive the spousal benefit based on your husband’s record while delaying filing for your own benefit, achieving the delay credits of 8% per year.

      Hope this helps –


  • My husband is 64 and I am 66.
    I just talked to social security by phone and they told me he could file and suspend and I could file for spousal benefit of 1/2 his FRA benefit. I ask this question several times if he could file and suspend at 64 and they said yes. I can because I am FRA. Everything I am reading from this is you cannot file and suspend until FRA. Have an appt. for Dec. 5 and hope what they told me is true. Can you verify any of this for me?

  • I recently file-and-suspended at FRA (66 in my case) so that my wife (age 62) could file for benefits as my spouse. This morning the SSA called and said we could not do that because she is not yet FRA. They indicated that there is no appeal because “that is the rule”. Now what?

    Do I give up and withdraw my file and suspend (so that I can restore my HSA)? Is there a regulation or ruling that I should quote to the SSA? … or are they correct and I am misunderstanding the articles I have read on this subject.

    • Don,
      I need some more details about your situation to determine if SSA is correct in how they’re handling your case. Specifically, if your wife’s own unreduced (age 66) retirement benefit based on her record is more than 50% of your unreduced benefit, then there is no spousal benefit available to her since she’s under FRA.

      If that is the case you could rescind or withdraw your filing (if there is a reason to do so).

  • My programmer is trying to convince mme too movge to
    .net freom PHP. I have always disiked the idea because off the costs.
    But he’s trfyiong none the less. I’ve been usxing Movable-type on a numbeer off websites for about
    a yeqr and amm wortried aboht swithing to ankther platform.
    I have hearrd great thihgs aboutt Is there a
    wway I ccan transfer all myy wordpess posts into it? Anyy hrlp would be really appreciated!

    Here is mmy page gaje [Tosha]

  • I am retired, 64, and my FRA is 66. My wife is works and is younger and we have 2 children under the age of 18. Is there a way to get benefits for my children now? Or must I wait to be able to file/suspend after I am 66.
    I would prefer to wait as long as possible to start collecting as long as the kids can get some income while I am waiting to collect. Are there rules as to what this money can be used for? 502B? Food/clothes?

  • My age-70, started benefits at 62. Can husband at 66 collect on my benefit and also file and suspend his benefit so I can collect spousal benefits on his record?

    • First off, only one spouse can claim a spousal benefit at a time.

      If your original FRA benefit (before reduction for early claiming) was less than 50% of your husband’s PIA, then if your husband files for his benefit you are entitled to an increase to your benefit called the spousal adder. You cannot get a spousal benefit otherwise because you filed for your own benefit early.

      Your husband can file and suspend but that would only make sense if your PIA is less than 50% of his, entitling you to the spousal adder. Otherwise, if he wants to delay his benefit and receive a spousal benefit in the interrim he needs to file a “restricted application” with SSA. This will allow him to claim a spousal benefit now on your record and switch to his own retirement benefit in the future, increased by the delayed credits after FRA.

      You should ask SSA to lay out these various options for you before deciding. Or better, work with a planner with expertise in this area.

  • When husband is file and suspended, can he still continue work(employed) while the spouse is receiving the 50% based on the husband’s rate? Understanding we have to pay tax on the husband’s earning.

    • Anyone can file and suspend, not just married couples. Married couples do this in order to collect a spousal benefit while the higher earner delays his own benefit to earn delayed credits. However, ANYONE, even singles, can file for and suspend their benefit at FRA. Doing so preserves their ability to receive a full lump sum reimbursement of all suspended benefits if they decide to restart these before age 70 due to an emergency or other unforseen change in circumstance.

  • Larry,

    Although I hate to discourage them when they want to give you more, the rules won’t allow both spouses to file and suspend and each receive spousal benefits.

    This is because when you file and suspend, you may be eligible for other benefits (such as a survivor benefit or a spousal benefit) but you’re only allowed to receive the excess above and beyond the PIA that you’ve suspended.

    In practice, if one spouse’s PIA was less than 50% of the other spouse’s PIA, that spouse could file and suspend and receive the excess (the amount greater than the PIA that is suspended).

    Now, on the other hand, the other spouse’s PIA must be greater than 50% of the first spouse’s PIA. We established that when we decided that the first spouse was eligible for an excess spousal benefit. So there’s no excess for the second spouse to receive.


  • An agent at the Social Security office in Boise told us last week that we can both file and suspend and collect each other’s spousal benefits, and then age 70 switch to our own undiminished.

    You say only one person can file and suspend. Can you check and confirm if that information is still valid and the SS guy is wrong?

  • Debbie,

    Call back and ask again. If you get the same runaround, telling you to read the website, tell them that you read the website, specifically POMS section GN 02409.110 part A(2) which states

    “The decision to voluntarily suspend retirement benefits applies only to the numberholder. Do not adjust benefits to other beneficiaries on the record.”

    That seems pretty irrefutable.

    Best wishes to you –


  • My husband is 65. He will be FRA in December 2012. We have a son who will turn 17 in July 2012 and is a senior. According to what you wrote above, my husband should be able to file and suspend in January 2013 and then file for dependent benefit for my son until he’s 18 or 19 if still in high school.

    We called the social security office today and the representative said that when my husband suspends that it stops my dependents benefits. She said it wouldn’t stop a spouses, but it does a dependent child. She insisted and said read the website. She said the reason it only mentions filing and suspending when talking about a spouses benefit is because its for spouses only. I told her that was not what i read on other websites and she said I could go into an office if I didn’t trust her, but that they only go by what is on the social security website.

    How do I get this benefit if they don’t agree that you can qualify?

  • Jim,
    I should have known that there is no such thing as a “free lunch”! Thank you for taking the time to research that. I appreciate the fact that people can turn to you for reliable answers in this area.

    So I worked up the calculations to compare the two options (tell me if this is correct; I think other people may find this useful if they plug in their own numbers):

    My wife’s own benefit at her FRA is $306 a month. If she files for it at 62, she would get only $208 a month. When she’s 66, I will have been retired for 2 years, collecting my $1917 monthly and she can file for her spousal benefit. My wife’s maximum spousal benefit would have been $958 a month, if she had not filed early.

    So in this case they’ll take her $958 maximum spousal benefit, and subtract her own maximum benefit of $306 — the amount she would have received at her FRA. The difference is $652. Because she’s 66, she’s eligible to receive the full $652. Her monthly check at 66 will include her own reduced benefit ($208) plus her maximum spousal benefit ($652). The result: She’ll get $860 a month.

    By contrast, if she waits until she’s 66 to apply for Social Security, she’ll get her own full $306 benefit plus the difference between that $306 and her $958 maximum spousal benefit — i.e., $652. The result: Her monthly check will be $958.

    In our particular example of her filing at 62, she gets an extra four years of benefits that add up to $9,984, while her long-term benefit would be $98 a month smaller. Only we can decide if the trade-off is worthwhile.


  • Frank,

    I apologize for the back and forth on this, but I’ve further clarified this with SSA, and here it is:

    When your wife files for Spousal Benefits at FRA, the total benefit received will be less than 50% of your PIA. The reduction will be equal to the difference between her PIA and her actual retirement benefit, which was reduced due to filing early.

    Thanks for your patience.


  • Jim,
    To re-clarify and confirm my previous scenario:
    1). You agree that my wife should (and legally can) now at 62 file to claim against her”projected $208 benefits she would be entitled to each month for the next 4-years until she attains FRA; and then, at that time she can re-apply for spousal benefits and collect $958 (50% of my $1917 FRA earnings) thus giving us a combined total of $2875 monthly from then on?

    2). There would be no penalties involved, right?

    3) Would you do this if you and your spouse were in our shoes? I don’t see any other option to maximize overall earnings.


  • I am 64 and my wife is 62. My wife’s PIA is $308. My PIA is $1,917.

    If it is possible, would it not be smart for my wife to file for SS now in order to start earning about $208 per month and then when I reach FRA (at 66) and am able to collect $1,917 monthly, could my wife at FRA (4 years after her initial filing) then apply for spousal benefits and get 50% of my benefits (about $958 monthly) even if she has been collecting $208 for the past 4 years from her earnings (of about $10,000)? Or would she penalized for this action?

    If the above is possible, it would be a better choice rather than have her not file and wait to collect at her FRA, right?

  • Jim, that was exactly my question – wanted to make sure taxpayer could file and suspend on retirement benefits while not losing disability benefits. Thanks for your response.

  • Shelli,

    I’m not sure I understand your question. I think you are indicating that the taxpayer is of full retirement age and is also on SSI for disability, and the question is can he or she file and suspend retirement benefits at that time? If so, then the answer is yes, the individual can file and suspend, as long as he or she is at least full retirement age. This will enable his spouse to collect spousal benefits based on his retirement record while delaying receipt of his own retirement benefits.


    • Jim,
      The new rule change of December, 2014 adds some complexity to this scenario. I understand that an individual receiving SSDI at FRA cannot file and suspend in order to receive the additional credits until age 70. In order to do so, wouldn’t he/she have to pay back all benefits received to that date? I thought Congress changed the rule allowing this. Please clarify for me.

  • Thomas,

    You should be able to take care of all of your filing, suspending, and your wife’s filing in one visit, as long as there aren’t any snags in the process.

    I can’t tell you how many forms you’ll have to fill out, but I’m sure there will be plenty. (It is the government, after all!)

    Best wishes to you


  • Hi Jim, thanks for your help in navigating this maze! My question is this – if a taxpayer is on SSI Disability, can he file & suspend so his spouse can collect and still receive his SSI Disability? Thanks in advance.

  • Jim,

    After Full Retirement Age you can suspend your active benefit and receive delayed retirement credits from the time of your suspension until as late as age 70. Since you’ve only got until 12/2014, which is 33 months from this writing, your increase will be less than the maximum.

    If you don’t need the extra money, it’s probably a good decision. This will have no effect on your wife’s benefits.


  • Thanks Jim,
    Think we will take your advice to file and suspend if there are no income limitations, as I still work. Also curious, when we go to Social Security office, for me to file and suspend, are there two separate forms to fill out or just one, and if two, do I complete both forms at same time. I guess my wife must additionally complete form for spousal benefits. Hopefully, you tell us , all forms can be completed in one visit to Social Security office. Thanks for your help.

  • My wife (DOB 11/25/45) started collecting early at age 62. Her benefit increased when I began collecting effective February 2011 after turning age 66 on 12/20/2010. But, I still work full time and am second-guessing my decision for 2 reasons: taxability of my benefit and higher benefit at 70. Do I have any options to suspend my benefit, or is it too late?

  • My wife (DOB 11/25/45) started collecting early at age 62. Her benefit increased when I began collecting effective February 2011 after turning age 66 on 12/20/2010. But, I still work full time and am second-guessing my decision for 2 reasons: taxability of my benefit and higher benefit at 70. Do I have any options to suspend my benefit, or is it too late?

  • Thomas,

    If you’re in a position where you can delay both benefits as long as possible (to age 70), then it will make sense to file and suspend your benefit and your wife can then file for the Spousal Benefit alone, once you’ve both reached FRA.

    This way you are accruing the delayed retirement credits on both of your records, while at the same time receiving half of your PIA (the Spousal Benefit for your wife) for the four years between age 66 and 70.


  • Husband and wife both turning 66 within next few weeks. Husband projected SS amount at 66 is $2350 and $3100 at 70. Wife projected SS amount at 66 is $1930 and $2545 at 70. Both in good health and after extensive reading not sure best option. We think it comes down to File and Suspend or wife taking spousal benefits on husband’s amount. Welcome any suggestions.

  • Hi Dan –

    Spousal Benefits are not based upon your benefit, but rather on your PIA. The PIA for you is the amount that you would have received had you delayed filing for benefits to Full Retirement Age. Of course, Cost-of-Living-Adjustments would also be applied, but no other increases or reductions (beyond the reduction if she files prior to her own FRA).

    Hope this helps –


  • Hi Jim,

    Excellent article! Thank you for providing us with helpful information.

    My question relates to Susan’s inquiry…and your response to her was as follows…

    “Susan –
    My source at SSA says that you can suspend at FRA after collecting for several years. The delay credits would be applied to their reduced benefit (since he or she filed early). I just reconfirmed this, and he indicates that the page is the reference to use.”

    My situation is that I started taking SS benefits at age 62 but plan to file and suspend when I turn age 66 and then restart again at age 70 so that I can increase my monthly $ benefit amount.

    What $ amount will my younger wife (by 8 yrs), receive re: spousal benefit when she applies when I turn 70? Will her benefit amount be based upon what I received at age 62 or will it be based upon the increased amount I will begin receiving at age 70?

    Thanks for your help,


  • Mary,

    Spousal Benefits do increase via annual Cost of Living Adjustments (COLAs), but after the benefit is first applied for, these benefits do not increase with increases to the other spouse’s future retirement benefit (if suspended and accruing delayed credits).

    So the answer is no, the benefit will not continue to increase other than by COLAs.


  • Jim,

    I am now 65. If I file and suspend at 66 and my spouse (who is 70) collects spousal benefits (which would be larger than his current SS income), do his spousal benefits continue to increase? That is, when I am 70, will he receive half of my increased SS income as his benefit?

    Thank you for your help.


  • This year I will be 66 and my wife will be 62. She does not work any more. Can I file and suspend at 66 and can she file at 62 and receive a check off of my SS at 50% at this time or will it be less if we do this now. Thanks!

  • Allen,

    The strategy that you describe is not available. You cannot file solely for the Spousal Benefit prior to Full Retirement Age (FRA), nor can you file and suspend prior to FRA.

    Most likely the way to maximize for you would be to wait until FRA and then file solely for the Spousal Benefit and delay filing for your own retirement benefit to the latest age (70) in order to achieve the maximum in delay credits.


  • Jim,
    I have read all these questions on receiving spousal benefits and still am fuzzy.
    My wife is 62 and receiving about $1000 a month, I am 64 (65 July). My understanding is I can file and suspend and get (reduced) one-half of hers until FRA (or any age in between FRA & 70) and my DRC will NOT be affected when I start my PIA. Any downside with getting spousal benefits? Also, her PIA is more than one-half of what I WILL get.



    Resent, because I was unsure it was received after the return screen.

  • Jim,
    I have read all these questions on receiving spousal benefits and still am fuzzy.

    My wife is 62 and receiving about $1000 a month, I am 64 (65 July). My understanding is I can file and suspend and get (reduced) one-half of hers until my FRA (or any age in between FRA & 70) and my DRC will NOT be affected when I start my PIA. Any downside with getting spousal benefits? Also, her PIA is more than one-half of what I WILL get.



  • Yes, thanks. And do you agree with the monthly vs annualized approach to the income limitation? For instance, if that first “year” of benefits starts in February, and you have no income until $25,000 in December, you would not have to repay the benefits received February-November. Also, is it true that in the calendar year in which you reach FRA (for my husband, December 2013)benefits are reduced $1 for every $3 (instead of $2) income?

  • Nancy –

    “Suspend” has a special meaning to Social Security. Prior to FRA, if you’re earning more than the annual limit, your benefits are reduced by the formula of $1 for every $2 in income over the limit. This is not the same as Suspending benefits, although the result to the benefit receiver is the same if the amount of income is enough to eliminate the benefit altogether.

    Hope this helps –


  • My husband is 64, retired 3 months ago, and “may” have earnings in 2012 in excess of $15,000. An agent in the SSA office told us that in the first year of collecting benefits (whether prior to FRA or not), the formula for the earned income cap is applied on a monthly rather than annualized basis, so that in theory one could earn, for example, $5000 one month and collect no benefits, $0 the next month and collect full (or age-reduced in our case) benefit, etc. However, I just read this on the SSA website: “If you have reached full retirement age, but are not yet age 70, you can ask us to suspend retirement benefit payments.” This says to me that benefits cannot be suspended if pre-FRA application has been made. How does this play into the earned income cap? Or does SSA do the “suspending” for you based on reported earnings?

  • Thanks. We will go to a local office after the holidays, bringing this page. Hopefully the person I spoke with today didn’t know what she was talking about.

  • Hi again… re your answer that “you can suspend at FRA, even though you have already been collecting for several years. The Delayed Retirement Credits (DRCs) will be factored against his reduced benefit, but should still provide some increase to the overall benefit when you file again.”… I just got off the phone with social security. According to them the only instance that you can suspend benefits is that you are earning too much to qualify. We would like to suspend my husband’s benefits, not because he is earning money, but because we decided it would be a better idea to live off savings (that are earning nothing) for a few years. Is this not possible? Did I misread your answer to another reader? Thanks

  • Susan –

    Thank you for your kind words. It’s nice to know that folks get a benefit from all of this!

    You’re right, he cannot file for spousal benefits because he’s been collecting all along. Suspending doesn’t change that fact: you can’t file and suspend and collect spousal benefits.


  • Hi there, just to make sure I understand… My husband will be 66 in March, I will be 65. We have both been collecting SS for 3 years. My PIA is more than half his, so I would not collect as a spouse. From a previous response, I understand he can suspend his benefits in March, even though he’s already been collecting, to gain more benefits in a few years. My question then is can he file for spousal benefits from me once I reach full retirement age at 66? Thanks you so much, this is the best information I’ve found, and I’ve looked for months!

  • Jim,

    Thanks for clarifying “file and suspend”. My wife is already collecting benefits based on her own work record, but the spousal benefit would be higher. If I file and suspend next month at FRA, will SSA automatically pick up on this and recalculate her benefit,or will she need to go to SSA and make some sort of application? Thanks

  • Jim,

    Ty, so in order for him to continue to earn his credits for working, he will be 66 in decemeber and at full retirement age. When does he have to suspend, can it be anytime in the month of december once he reaches the full retirement age or does it have to be the day he turns 66 which is on the weekend.

    Ty for your help,


  • Hi Jim this is Suzy again, I wrote you about one month ago,

    Well my husband and I went to the SSA office yesterday to file for his benefits. I asked if he filed then decided to suspend would the children continue to receive there dependent benefits the represetative told me absolutely not. She said the moment my husbands benefits stopped the kids would stop as well. This is not what I have been hearing, do you know if the rule has changed.

  • Michael (not sure if you’re the same Micheal as before, so I’m answering separately):

    Your children could receive benefits until age 18 (or 19 if still in high school) if you have filed. Unfortunately at the age of 62 if you file now you’ll permanently reduce your retirement benefit. I would imagine that the long-term benefit of delaying to your FRA will outweigh the short-term benefit of your children’s receiving the dependent benefit, but you’d probably want to put a pencil to the figures to make sure.


  • Micheal –

    Regarding Medicare and SS benefits, these are separate activities. Back in the olden days, when FRA was 65 the two went pretty much hand-in-hand, but were actually two separate activities. Now with FRA after 65, many folks don’t realize that Medicare is available before their full benefit age for Social Security.

    Hope this helps-


  • Good morning Jim,
    I’m 62 and want to wait until FRA to file. However, right now my two kids are 17 and 15 and I think they can also receive benefits until they graduate. If I don’t file now I will lose their eligibility. What is your opinion on this? Thanks

  • Hi Jim,
    Can you explain how Medicare fits into all this. I’m 62 and would be interested in signing up for Medicare only. Is that possible? Thanks in advance for your help.

  • Hi Suzy.

    Yes, this is true, your husband can file and suspend once he reaches Full Retirement Age, so that your children can begin receiving dependent’s benefits, and his benefit will continue to accrue delayed retirement credits up to age 70.

    This has no effect on your Social Security disability, and would have no effect on your retirement amount as well. Once you file for retirement benefits, if your PIA amount is less than half of your husband’s PIA, you would be eligible for a spousal benefit as well.

    Hope this helps –


  • My husband is 65, he is 66 in decemember we have been told to have him file and suspend his benefits so our children 3, 3 and 5 would begin to receive benefits, I can not find any info on the SSA website regarding this is this information true. I am currently recieving social security disability, would this affect my money, my future retirement benefits.

  • Bruce –

    The wife must be receiving benefits based upon HER record, not the husband’s record, because until he files, she is not eligible to receive benefits based on his record. Since they’re under FRA, he couldn’t have filed and suspended, so she can only be receiving benefits based on HER record.

    If the husband were to file and suspend at FRA, then the wife would be eligible for an increase in her overall benefit using the formula of 50% of the husband’s PIA minus the wife’s PIA (not her benefit, her PIA). Whatever that difference is will be added to her current benefit.

    Hope this helps –


  • Jim,

    Wife and husband are about the same age, 64. Wife is already receiving SS benefits based upon husband’s record although he is still working and is not receiving benefits now.
    FRA is 66 for both.
    I understand husband could file and suspend at age 66 and then wife’s benefits would be increased to reflect one-half of the higher PIA at the FRA.
    Am I interpreting the rules correctly? Husband won’t fully retire until age 67 or 68.
    Thank you.


  • Hello Rebecca –

    The only reason for you to File and Suspend is if you have a spouse or dependents that would qualify for benefits based upon your record.

    If there is no one to apply for benefits based upon your retirement benefit record, there’s no reason for you to file and suspend – just continue delaying to age 70.


  • Hi Jim,

    I will be 64 in March of 2012. I am currently working.

    If I want to wait to collect Social Security until age 70, do I have to file and suspend at age 66?

  • Stan –

    Yes, that’s correct.

    PIA stands for Primary Insurance Amount, which is roughly equal to your benefit at exactly FRA (or in this case, you’re wife’s benefit were she to delay to FRA to file). It’s the base amount against which your reduction or increase factors are applied to come up with your actual benefit.

    You can find more on the PIA by looking at the article Primary Insurance Amount.

    Hope this helps –


  • Jim, thanks for your response. So if I read it right she files at 62 and at the same time I apply for a spousal benefit which would be half of her $1200. I continue to work and contribute until I have to claim at 70 continuing to increase my delayed benefit by 8% a year for 3 more years. BTW what does PIA stand for?



  • Hi Stan –

    You’ve got a couple of rules mixed together. There are two things that you have to wait until FRA to do. The first is to File and Suspend. And the second is to file for Spousal Benefits only (not retirement benefits).

    So, in the situation you’ve described, if your wife began receiving Spousal Benefits at age 62, she also must receive her retirement benefit at the same time due to deemed filing. So if her retirement benefit is greater than half of your PIA, she would get no spousal benefit at all.

    But the glass is still half full for you. If she can’t receive a Spousal Benefit because her retirement benefit is too large, since you’re at FRA or older you could file for a Spousal Benefit alone equal to half of your wife’s PIA – while your retirement benefit continues to accrue Delayed Retirement Credits. In this case you would NOT file and suspend, that would take you out of contention for the Spousal Benefit alone strategy.

    Hope this helps –


  • Hi Jim,

    I’m still working at 67 and plan to keep working till at least 70. My wife is not and will be 62 in 2/12. Since she is unlikely to return to work she is planning on collecting as of 62. If I file and suspend at that time she could claim spousal benefits. However she would collect about $400 less a month than if she just claimed on her own. I thoufht if she did this and her benefits continued to acrue until she was 64 we would come out ahead in the long run. But from what I read it appears her benefits would not continue to accrue as if she hadn’t retired. Am I right in this? Also would my benefits not increase at the 8% rate as well while she was collecting spousal benefits?



  • Cindy,

    If your husband is planning to delay receiving his benefits past FRA, then you’ll want to decide which method would bring you the highest benefit: 1) your husband files for Spousal Benefits only when he reaches FRA; or 2) he files and suspends, allowing you to file for the Spousal Benefit. Usually #2 works out best, but it depends on how much each of your benefits are presently.

    Hope this helps –


  • I am 62 and have filed for my SS benefits. I am the lower wage earner. My husband, who is 64, is going to delay filing until FRA of 66 or later. He plans to retire the end of this year. Can we use the File and Suspend option in any way to our advantage?

  • Jane –

    Since your husband is over Full Retirement Age, he is eligible to suspend after filing – this doesn’t seem to be in question from your comment above.

    You are correct in that you should still be able to continue Spousal Benefits if he suspends, and you can direct the SSA folks to the POMS system, GN 02409.110, #2 in the list, which reads:

    The decision to voluntarily suspend retirement benefits applies only to the numberholder. Do not adjust benefits to other beneficiaries on the record.

    Hope this helps –


  • I still don’t understand. I called SS and they said that my husband could not file and suspend.. that if he signs up for his benefits, and I seek spousal benefits and then he withdraws/suspends them, the spousal benefits would be canceled also.

    He is 67 and I am 66. From what I was reading online I thought he could file and I would seek the spousal benefit, then he would suspend, and I would keep getting the spousal benefit, meanwhile letting both of our benefits grow until we each reach 70. At 70 we would both start taking our maximum benefits.

    This seems too good to be true.. so I have a feeling I have misunderstood something. Please explain.. and if it is true, how do I explain it to SS?

  • Hi, Sam.

    There would be no benefit to filing prior to your age 70 since your wife is 10 years younger and therefore not eligible for Spousal benefits – the earliest she could receive a reduced benefit would be at her age 62, your age 72.

    Hope this helps –


  • Jim,

    I will be at FRA in a few months. My wife is 10 years younger. She will not be filing for a spousal benefit before I reach 70 and am eligible for the maximum benefit.

    Is there any reason/advantage to apply for benefits at FRA and suspend instead of just filing at age 70?

    Thanks in advance,

  • Maureen –

    Thank you for your patience. This question was more complicated than it seems… and I needed to call upon my resources at the SSA to help out.

    It turns out that your fiance can suspend at FRA, even though he has already been collecting for several years. The Delayed Retirement Credits (DRCs) will be factored against his reduced benefit, but should still provide some increase to the overall benefit when he files again.

    Otherwise, I don’t know of another way to withdraw from the program at this stage.

    Hope this helps –


  • Dear Jim,
    In the 2nd paragraph you make the statement, ‘Other eligible dependents (such as children under 18) can also receive benefits based upon the filed and suspended record
    ‘. Can you provide a reference in the Social Security benefits law that states the above? I am trying to apply for this payment for my 16 y.o. daughter, when I apply for and suspend benefits in October when turning age 66. I can cite laws that allow spousal payment, but cannot find anything that says children under 18 are eligible for payments. Please advise. The Social Security Claims worker says payment are not allowed to under 18 y.o. children if you suspend payments to yourself. Thanks.

  • I really need your help and advice! My fiance made the mistake of filing at age 62 and began receiving benefits. We have discussed how this would negatively impact our future retirement. However, it has been 2 years since he filed and so can no longer withdraw. Have we any way to stop the checks now, at all? If not, I have wondered if he could suspend at age 66 through 70 to help correct this shortfall. I cannot find anything online to help me. Is it possible to suspend after receiving benefits for 4 years? I understand that you have to be full retirement age to suspend, but can’t find mention if it’s possible to do after receiving benefits.

  • I really need your help and advice! My fiance made the mistake of filing at age 62 and began receiving benefits. We have discussed how this would negatively impact our future retirement. However, it has been 2.5 year since he filed and so can no longer withdraw. Have we any way to stop the checks now, at all? If not, I have wondered if he could suspend at age 66 through 70 to help correct this shortfall. I cannot find anything online to help me. Is it possible to suspend after receiving benefits for 4 years? I understand that you have to be full retirement age to suspend, but can’t find mention if it’s possible to do after receiving benefits.

  • Bill,

    Spousal Benefits do not impact the worker’s benefit. The spouse (in your example) can begin collecting the Spousal Benefit as soon as the worker (you) file and suspend at FRA. Since you’re not collecting your benefit, it can continue to accrue delayed retirement credits up to your age 70.

    If your wife is under FRA when she begins collecting the Spousal Benefit her benefit amount will be reduced, depending upon how much before FRA she begins taking it (at least age 62). There is also no increase in the Spousal Benefit if she delays applying for it after her own FRA.

    Hope this helps –


  • Jim,

    Suppose my wife has not worked outside the home at all or, in other words, has accrued no credits towards ss benefits. If I, the worker, file and suspend at 66(I’m currently 64 years old) can my wife actually collect benefits without penalizing my own when I go to collect at 66?

Leave a Reply

Copyright 2014   About Us   Contact Us   Our Advisors       Login