Why You May Be Better off Leaving Your 401k With Your Old Employer

Conventional wisdom says that when you leave a job, whether you’ve been “downsized” or you’ve just decided to take the leap, you should always move your retirement plan to a self-directed IRA. (Note: when referring to “retirement plans” in this article, this could be a 401(k) plan, a 403(b), a 457, or any other qualified savings deferral-type plan).

But there are a few instances when it makes sense to leave the money in the former employer’s plan.

You have several options of what to do with the money in your former employer’s plan, such as leaving it, rolling it over into a new employer’s plan, rolling it over to an IRA, or just taking the cash.

The last option is the worst. You’ll automatically lose 10% via penalty from the IRS (unless you meet one of the exceptions, including first home purchase, healthcare costs, and a few others) if you’re under age 59 1/2, plus you’re taxed on the funds as if it were income. For the highest bracket, this can amount to losing as much as 45% of the account.

In addition, if you think about it, by cashing out you’re derailing the retirement fund that you’ve put so much effort into setting aside. If you cash it out, you’ve got to start over, and you’ve got less time to build the account back up. A 2005 change in the tax law requires your old employer to automatically roll over your account into an IRA if it is between $1,000 and $5,000 (if you don’t choose another option), to keep folks from cashing out. If your account balance is more than $5,000, the old employer is required to maintain your account in the old plan until you choose what you’re going to do with it.

With recent tax law changes, another option has become available for your old account: you can now roll these funds over into a new employer’s retirement plan, as long as the plan allows it. In many cases this may make good sense, especially if the new plan has good investment choices and is cost-effective.

If the new plan doesn’t suit you, you can always roll the funds from your old employer’s plan into an IRA. You’ll then be able to decide just how you want to allocate the investmtents, choosing from the entire universe of available investment options, rather than the limited list that many plans have available. Caution is necessary when doing this type of rollover, as a misstep could cause the IRS to treat your attempted rollover as a complete distribution, having the same tax effect as cashing out. Seek the help of a professional if you are unsure about how to deal with this situation.

But when would you leave the funds at the old employer? If the old employer’s plan is a well-managed, low-cost plan, and you’re happy with how your investments have done, then you might just want to leave it where it is. In addition, if you happen to be over age 55, you may have options available to access the funds immediately, rather than waiting until age 59 1/2 – but only if you leave the funds in the original employer’s plan. Plus, if your plan is a 457 plan (generally only available to governmental employees, such as the State), you may be able to tap the plan upon your ending employment without penalty as well.

Another good reason to leave the fund at the old employer is if you believe that there is a high probability that you may return to employment with this employer. Especially in the case of working for the State, it probably makes sense to leave those funds in the SERS plan when you think there is a better than average possibility that you may return to work with the State (even another agency), as there are benefits available in the plan that you would be giving up if you moved your account to an IRA, and you’re not likely to be able to move those funds back when you return.

So – hopefully this quick conversation has helped to clear up some questions, and perhaps it has brought up some new questions for you. Don’t hesitate to contact me if you’re unclear about the choices that you have available. I’ll be happy to discuss it with you.

About the author

Jim Blankenship, CFP®, EA

Jim Blankenship is the founder and principal of Blankenship Financial Planning, Ltd., a financial planning firm providing hourly, as-needed financial planning and advice. A financial services professional for over 25 years, Jim is a CFP professional and has earned the Enrolled Agent designation, a designation that qualifies him as enrolled to practice before the IRS. Jim is also a NAPFA-registered financial advisor, which designates him as a Fee-Only Financial Advisor.

An IRA Owner's Manual
A Social Security Owner's Manual


Leave a comment
  • Becky –

    This question is very simple but it has a complicated answer. The reason is that this depends on your income, your tax bracket, your need for the money (to live off of), and many other factors. I’m sorry, but this is much more complicated than I can address here, it is too specific to your own personal information (which I’m sure you’re not ready to list on a public forum).

    One thing to consider would be converting your 401(k) and/or IRA to Roth, either in a lump sum or systematically over the next few years. This would allow you to continue deferring tax on the new Roth account into the future – but much more information is needed before making the decision to do this.

    Sorry I couldn’t help any more.


  • I am age 68 and have been retired from my job(ten years)with local government for two years now. I have not done anything with my 401K which is over $15,000. Prudential handles the plan for the county. I also have a regular IRA that was rolled over from a former employer handled through a local bank in about the same amount as the 401K. So far I am making it with the county retirement and social security but I’m having trouble deciding what to do with these two accounts. I need to make what I have last a long as possible. Any advice you would you have for me would be most appreciated.



  • Gerald –

    One thing about 401(k) plans is that the law provides certain limits, but the plan itself can impose certain restrictions specific to the plan. That appears to be the case for your situation.

    There’s no reason that you couldn’t rollover the 401(k) account into an IRA and continue to defer tax though. That’s probably your best option at this stage, and this way you don’t have to concern yourself with what the 401(k) plan will or won’t allow.

    Hope this helps –


  • I have a 401k with a former employer worth over $5000. I will be 62 in a few months and the former employer says I cannot continue with their 401k plan after age 62. I thought I had until 65 to do this. Please help me with this…….Gerald

  • The primary reason that you might want to leave the funds with the 401(k) plan is outlined in the middle of the third paragraph from the bottom of the article above – if you retired at age 55 or later but are still less than age 59 1/2, this could allow you to access the funds without the 10% penalty.

    Other than that, if you are looking for a wider choice of investments and more control over your account, rolling it over is a great option.

    And Fidelity is more than likely encouraging you to do the rollover to an IRA with them (as opposed to leaving it where it is) so that you don’t decide to rollover the funds to some other company’s IRA, which is also an option available to you.

    Hope this helps –


  • I have been retired for 1 year and still have my 401k at my former employer. Should i roll it over to my mutual fund company which is the same company [Fidelity] that my former employer uses.Fidelity encourages me to move it but i suspect they have their own interest in getting it into a rollover ira. I like the fact that i have a wider choice of investments and better access to the money.
    Thanks for your help in this matter

Leave a Reply

Copyright 2014 FiGuide.com   About Us   Contact Us   Our Advisors       Login